The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintains a variety of GIS layers and databases including street, parcel, subdivision, and utility data while adhering to organizational quality standards.
- Interprets and transfers data from source documents including digital and/or printed plats, record drawings, plans, profiles, and legal descriptions.
- Locates and compiles data sources.
- Collects field data using GPS.
- Performs quality control for database maintenance; researches and corrects data issues.
- Drafts special project exhibits as needed by various City departments and divisions.
- Geocodes data files using GIS software.
- Designs and develops a variety of map layers and databases for City-wide GIS operations.
- Creates and maintains documentation for GIS feature classes, applications, and procedures
- Assists in establishing data preparation standards and procedures to ensure data standardization and integrity and to optimize section productivity.
- Creates and customizes existing program features using python scripting.
- Recommends changes to GIS layers and software.
- Operates and maintains data input/output devices.
Other Important Duties:
- Travels to off-site meetings, conferences and training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
- Knowledge of the design, development, and manipulation of a GIS, Local and Wide Area Networks, Global Positioning Systems, databases and general office software.
- Knowledge of input and drafting of existing field data from surveyors and engineers.
- Knowledge of research and technical support techniques.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skills in designing, developing, and maintaining documentation for GIS feature classes, applications, and procedures.
- Skill in effectively managing multiple projects, assignments and duties.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
- Bachelors Degree or Certification in GIS, Geography, Planning or related field; and two (2) years ArcGIS, SQL Server, Microsoft Office Products, Visual Basic and/or Python experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check, MVR check and physical agility assessment.
- Must possess State of Texas Drivers License.
- Work is performed in office and outdoor environments.
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor.
- May be subject to walking over rough terrain, bending, reaching, or kneeling while collecting field data.
- May be subject to exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds.
Equipment and Tools Utilized:
- Equipment utilized includes personal computer, GPS, copier, calculator, fax machine, and other standard office equipment and department vehicles